The so amazing, ever changing, mouth watering raw cheese cake from True North retreats is quite possibly the most talked about dessert we offer when you are here. It takes on many shapes and forms – depending on the season it will take on as many different flavors and variations. This Summer we even created a fresh mint, chocolate chip, CBD version with our friends at Luce Farm – but – at the bottom of it, what you find is pure bliss, easily digested, low in sugar, high in protein, mouthwatering goodness.
Sharing the recipe today – I will tell you – it is as easy to make, as it looks. Fool proof, so long as you follow the steps – you’ll find a hit!
Dress it with berries this August, drizzle with a little chocolate sauce, decrease the lemon, increase the almond milk and blend in some pumpkin spice this Fall – its one to please all – yes. Even your most staunch I’m never going to eat anything vegetarian ever. This will win them over! Happy Summer everyone – this is a dessert your guests will remember!
- 2 C RAW ALMONDS OR PECANS ( OR ALMOND FLOUR)
- 3 OZ DATE PASTE
- 1/4T LIQUID VANILLA
- PINCH OF SEA SALT
- 3 C RAW CASHEWS – Soaked
- 1.5 C ALMOND MILK ( 1.5 C Almonds to make)
- 1 C LEMON JUICE ( Fresh)
- 3/4 C LIGHT AGAVE
- 3 T LESITHIN ( organic if possible)
- 1 C RAW COCONUT OIL ( + 1/4C)
- PINCHES OF SEA SALT
- LEMON ZEST ( optional)
- FOOD PROCESSOR
- VITA MIX
- MESH PAINT STRAINER BAG ( or nut bag or cheese cloth)
- 9″ SPRING FORM PAN
- SARAN WRAP
- MEASURING SPOONS, CUPS, BOWLS FOR MIXING, FREEZER TO SET CAKE
- PREPARE YOUR ALMOND MILK: Soak almonds for 8 hours ( the night before put them in water), strain, rinse and blend with 4C filtered water in a high speed blender. Place paint bag/mesh strainer/nut bag/ cheesecloth over a large bowl or pitcher & pour mixture in. Strain off the pulp. There is your MYLK! ** Quick alternative? Buy Almond milk at the grocery store. easy.
- SOAK YOUR CASHEWS ( yep – place them in enough water to cover them)
- MAKE YOUR CRUST: Line your springform pan with saran wrap – enough so that it covers the bottom and hangs over the edges. Place nuts in a food processor and blend/pulse until fine. Add sea salt, vanilla & just enough date paste so that when you press the crust between your thumb and forefinger it sticks. PULSE the food processor to get this texture. Empty crust into lined spring form pan, press down into the base so that it is uniform. SET ASIDE
- MAKE YOUR BATTER: In your Vita Mix or powerful blender add cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, agave, sea salt and blend until creamy. Lower the blender speed and add: Coconut oil ( liquid form) – while blender is going. Use additional 1/4 C oil if needed to keep things going – Add Lesithin last – also while blender is going. BLEND until completely incorporated. *OPTIONAL – pulse lemon zest in.
- SET YOUR CAKE: Pour blender mixture into crust lined springform pan and let sit. You will notice bubbles coming to the top of the cake. Tap the pan a few times on the counter to bring air bubbles to the surface. This will ensure a smooth cake finish.
- FREEZE & ENJOY m to the touch. Once firm, remove spring form pan ring by inserting a no serrated paring knife along the inside edge of the pan. Open the springform, remove the saran wrap, smooth the sides with an off set spatula and decorate with any and all toppings!
** This pictured cake from our June Retreat was topped with a FRESH BERRY COMPOTE – which is a fancy way of saying fresh berries and a little bit of agave, pulsed in a blender or food processor 😉 – blend longer for a nice jam or sauce! OR Whip some of this bad boy: BLACK BLISS CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1/4 C King Arthur Double Dutch Coco Powder ( or your fav chocolate powder)
- 1/4 C Grade B VT Maple Syrup
- 1 T Raw Almond butter
- 1 T Raw Coconut Oil
- pinches of sea salt; vanilla powder or flavor ( no alcohol)
- BLEND – drizzle, lick the spoon, bowl, blender… yes its that good!